Friday 29 December 2017

2018.....Hobby Thoughts...

At this time of year many wargaming bloggers post some reflections on the past year & perhaps some thoughts on what they would like to achieve in the New. Here's some thoughts from me:

Yes, that's me, about 18 months ago - beard is a bit longer now.
Painting - I have painted a lot of figures this year, mostly commissions, plus some for my own collection. Being a creative person, I enjoy the painting. Finished Dark Age & Middle Earth figures for myself.



Collecting - picked up some more Dark Age figures & sold a few that I'd painted, in order to fund future purchases. Bought some Dwarves & Goblins to grow my tiny Middle Earth collection. Picked up some AB 20mm Brits that were are bargain price.



Terrain - managed to get some more Dark Age buildings done, plus trees, animals, cart, fenced garden, & wayside cross.



Gaming - basically zilch.



I passed on my collection of 20mm Colonials to a fine chap in Ireland - mostly unpainted.
Also sent off a bunch of mostly unpainted plastic fantasy figures to a mate in the US.

I hope I can get rid of some more stuff this year, either sell or give away to someone who will actually use it. I must be realistic, hoarding heaps of stuff I will never use is futile.



 Finding local wargamers, who share my interests, that I can regularly connect with, play games & generally enthuse over the hobby with, is just not happening for me. I have become much more of a painter & collector these days.

For 2018 I would like to be able to keep on painting for myself + commissions. I am seeing a physio for nasty pain in my left shoulder/arm - he is saying it looks like a "frozen shoulder" - I can only hope it doesn't impact my painting too much.

I want to focus my personal painting on Dark Ages & Middle Earth - which have some handy crossovers.



I'm still hanging onto my 20mm WW2 collection, but it's hard to get motivated to paint more of it without the prospect of any games...



I don't want to buy more figures until I make a significant dent in my unpainted pile - by either painting them up or passing them on to others.

All the best,

John.


18 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely painted stuff this year John. Maybe a few more games next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, very kind of you. Yes, who knows :-)

      Delete
  2. I had the same problem re games for a while but I seem to have turned the corner, keep ;up the good work and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated George, I'll have to wait & see what the future holds.

      Delete
  3. It is a shame your beautifully painted figures don't far on the games table. You will have to move over here to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can get me down at times. Not sure if I will be moving far, but who knows? :-)

      Delete
  4. I am always massively impressed with your figures. Just keep looking out for that gaming buddy 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work John, missed you on the paint and chats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James! Who knows, may be one day our internet will improve to allow me to join in again - they keep pushing the date back, last date they gave was May 2018....

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to see what you do in the new year, as its always great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, hoping to keep up the painting output :-)

      Delete
  7. Echoing a lot of the above comments! Always look forward to seeing your work and definitely what the new year will bring. I'm right there with you regarding the games, it's definitely going to be something I try to do way more of in 2018, even if that means building and painting gets pushed to the side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always a pleasure viewing your output, and even more so when it is summarised like this. Beautiful work, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind words Lawrence, thanks :-)

      Delete
  9. You are not alone in the gaming/collecting/buddy fronts. I’m with you and i’ve Read some other posts along these lines. I’m in a similar boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a tricky one. I've deliberately narrowed my interests as I've grown older, wanting to avoid so many half-hearted projects that wind up gathering dust. I'm happy to play other games, but don't want to invest more time and money in collecting stuff for them.

      Delete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...