Tuesday 28 January 2020

Middle Earth Wargaming 28mm - Dwarves, Orcs & Hobbits

Middle Earth Wargaming 28mm - Dwarves, Orcs & Hobbits

First up a Dwarf with raven & gem topped staff - this is a metal miniature from North Star's Oathmark range:



Next a Dwarven king from North Star's Oathmark range:


Conqueror Models metal Dwarves stand fast against Oathmark plastic goblins (Orcs in my book):


Amidst the plastic goblins are a couple of the Oathmark metal goblin command figures:














Wargames Atlantic plastic Halfling Militia, painted & slightly converted by me to stand in as Hobbits sent to support the last king of Arthedain against Angmar:





I added the cloak, made out of greenstuff. Swapped & chopped some hands to be holding bucklers:





Added larger pouches with greenstuff for holding sling ammunition:




For those interested, I have added some comparison shots with the WA Hobbits. GW miniatures tend to be closer to 25mm:

GW Hobbit/ WA Halfling

GW Hobbit/ WA Halfling

GW Dwarf/WA Halfling

Oathmark Goblin/WA Halfling

GW Ranger/ WA Halfling

Conqueror Models Dwarf/WA Halfling


Hope you found the pictures useful.

For this year I will mostly be busy painting commissions, but I hope to be able to do some more with my own miniatures too. I don't want to buy any more miniatures until I have made some more substantial dents in my unpainted pile & have parted with some miniatures that I just don't need any more. At the moment my collections are focused on Dark Ages, Middle Earth & 20mm WW2. 

All the best,
John.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent work. Those Conqueror Dwarves are superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I really like the Conqueror sculpts too.

      Delete
  2. Superb painting as always and the dwarf shields are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Captures the spirit of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. More Orcs on the painting desk & another unit of Dwarves in the queue.

      Delete
  5. Those Oathmark and Conquerer dwarves match rather nicely in style; particularly like the wizard with his crow! Nice work on the halflings as well, particularly the rosy cheeks. I've just assembled a few of them myself, rather like them but I'm not sure the arrow shafts and polearms are going to last long, they seem quite thin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. Yes the Dwarves are a pretty decent match-up really. I just did a sample band of Hobbits, plan on keeping some for spare bits & share the rest of the sprues out. Not sure how much battlefield use they will see, but they were fun to do.

      Delete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...