Saturday 8 September 2012

Farmhouse Finished & Functional

In a previous post somewhere I shared that I had been working on the Scalescenes Farmhouse- which comes in a set with the barn I have already completed- well, here it is.
Please note that I have modified it to make it more functional for wargaming, as it was originally designed for model railway layouts. It took me two attempts to get the roof sorted out so that you could lift it off- good thing with these downloadable card models is that you can just re-print the parts you stuff up & try again. I made one of the chimneys integral with the roof and made my own guttering for the roof too- from another texture file that I had. Unfortunately only one of the floors lifts out, but that's OK as I would probably stick soldiers upstairs anyway.  It is based on a piece of foamcore with various flocks and tufts.
I found it quite challenging to build, particularly as I wanted it adapted for the tabletop. I can highly recommend Scalescenes products for wargamers- relatively inexpensive, reproducible, lightweight & realistic looking. I hope you enjoy the pictures, please let me know if you have any questions about it- happy to try and answer.































Most recently painted commando chaps posing outside the farmhouse, somewhere in Normandy...
They shall have a post of their own in due course.

18 comments:

  1. brilliant work! I really like that building and it looks like that you have used a similar technique to get removable roof as I do! and also I like the removable floors I know how annoying they can be as it is so hard to get them A) big enough so that they do not fall through down to the ground floor and B) small enough that it is not like threading a needel when your tring to place/remove them... its complicated, so I usually go by eye it is normally more acurrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gowan. Very true about the floors, and even the roof in the case of this model- you have to tilt it at the correct angle to take it off.

      Delete
  2. That´s pretty bl**dy amazing! It looks incredible..I would never have geussed that it´s a card build.Brilliant ground work.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´ve just had a browse through thier site...it only cost 4.99!!!!!!!!!! and you can pick what type of brickwork!!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, really good value I reckon, plus the stuff they have for scratchbuilding opens up even more possibilities. Even the free stuff on their site is worth downloading.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful ground work for this awesome building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beauty Sarge! ... I might have to get a few of these myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. They're pretty good value for money I reckon.

      Delete
  6. Is the print-off applied to foam board Sarge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not with this model, but I did use it for the barn. This time I opted for card of different thicknesses. Some of it was from cereal boxes and some was matt/mount board- I buy off cuts from a picture framers, I also get my foamcore from there.

      Delete
  7. Far out John! Amazing, really really amazing. Downpipes and everything! Lovely, lovely work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers bro. Took me quite a few evenings putting it together- hard to rush something like this, plus I made some mistakes on the way.
      The bloke who designs these models at Scalescenes is very clever I reckon.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful work John!
    That's not made of paper mate, you're lying...it's made from real bricks and slates...!
    Amazing, I am looking it in awe... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thanos.
      Oh yes, all genuine paper and cardboard- apart from the windows which were printed on transperancy.
      Well worth downloading something from Scalescenes just to give it a try.

      Delete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...