Saturday 9 June 2018

Early Anglo Saxons

A very picture heavy post this one, and this is only part of the project :-)
I had the fun of doing a large Early Anglo Saxon commission for an overseas customer - he sent me a lovely assortment of Footsore & Curtey's 28mm metal figures to paint & base.
I knew I already liked the Footsore ranges, but had not had much experience with the Curtey's figures before - I think they are quite cool, plenty of character on the faces. Sometimes manufacturers websites don't quite do the figures justice. The Curtey's figures tended to look overly stocky for my tastes, but in reality they are a good fit with other manufacturers - plus they are one of the more affordable Dark Age options in metal.
These figures represent mostly the lower status warriors, armed with weapons such as spear, javelin, seax, bows & slings. The higher status fellows will follow in another post :-)




































All the best,
John.
P.S. A big thank you to all who take the time to comment or even look at my posts, it is much appreciated & I do try to leave at least a "thanks :-)" to your esteemed comments.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work as always, I’m just getting back to doing some dark age figures so really interesting to see your shield variations, I will copy a few of these 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Most of the shields were LBMS decals - the ones with distinct rims were freehand.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job, the determination is read on their faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, they paint up really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan :-) Always interesting to paint up figures from a range I haven't encountered before. I am hoping to paint up some Dark Age figures from Steve Barber Models soon.

      Delete
  4. Superb as always John.
    I have not 'dropped by' for a while, but the quality of your painting is as good, or maybe even better, than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much James :-) Hopefully improving, just not getting much faster.

      Delete
  5. I'm just in the (very lengthy) process of cleaning up my Crusader late Saxons, your photos here are just great for inspiration re colours and getting the "Look" right. Really pleased to have run across your blog!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope it proves helpful to you Mike. All the best, John.

      Delete
  6. Really great Saxons John - well done indeed

    ReplyDelete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...