Saturday 14 July 2018

Hessians for AWI & 18th Century pondering....

I was commissioned to paint a unit of Hessian Line for the American War of Independence. The figures supplied were 28mm Sash & Sabre (or Saber) metal Prussians. The unit is based on von Donop Regiment - apologies for any inaccuracies in uniforms.
This re-sparked my interest in the conflict & 18th Century in general. I have a small handful of 28mm metal figures for the period, plus some 10mm SYW, & 1/72 SYW Prussians. I have purchased the Don Troiani Book on the AWI - excellent visual reference. In addition I have been working my way slowly through the Peter Dennis "Paperboys" book on the AWI, cutting & gluing paper figures - they really do look nice. I think I would still like to do an Imagi-Nations collection for the 18th Century, not sure how I would go about this - perhaps Peter Dennis will do a Seven Years War paper soldier book that I could modify? The figures from Crann Tara look nice too.....hmmm, maybe a sample order some time. The thought of painting large black powder armies can be somewhat overwhelming, let alone the potential costs...ah well, collections like this can be built up slowly over time I guess. Always interesting to see what other folks have done with their Imagi-Nations, some are cherry picked from real world units, others whole cloth fabrications of uniforms, flags 'n all. Suggestions & discussion welcome :-)














 These were completed in July I believe. I am currently working on an Arthurian Warband project for an overseas customer, using Footosore Miniatures.

15 comments:

  1. Those are nice figures and you painted them beautifully. I've never taken the plunge and made Imagi-Nations of my own but, there are some incredible blogs out there I've read. Another I've wanted to and never got round to. 18th century would be a cool period. So many uniforms out there; I'd be tempted by the mitre hats the Russians wore. Potemkim under Catherine made the Russians something to be reckoned even if Paul undid much of it prior to the Napoleonic Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gene. Yes those mitred hats look very cool, there is certainly a lot of appeal to the 18th century look.

      Delete
  2. Top notch job, oncredible details on these Hessians troops...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want a hand re imaginations get in touch and I will do my best to help in any way I can quite a few of my customers build Imagination armies - one of the reasons I do some 'generic' figures likewise if you want a couple of samples from the Crann Tara range drop me a line and I will send some out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Graham that's brilliant, much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Have sent you a message via Crann Tara on FB.

      Delete
  4. 18th c. gaming is pretty fun, I find, whether imaginations of historical. Lots of room to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly been on my to do list for some time...

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done, and I really like the buff colour you have used on these. I too have been tempted by 18th century uniforms and gaming, but dare not seriously contemplate it as I have far too much to work my way through as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. My personal collections are pretty much Dark Ages, WW2, some Middle Earth, but 18th Century has been on the back-burner for a while.

      Delete
  6. C18th ImagiNations is great fun. I hadn't painted a 28mm (25mm actually) for decades until the first Ayton ImagiNations bash in 2011. I've got a decent collection now and a rather large lead pile! Grab some of the Crann Tara stuff. Lovely figures and I'd really like to see what you could do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, looks like Graham is sending me some Crann Tara samples, so looking forward to them. I made some more notes and sketches for my initial "nation" last night, building on ideas I've had over the last few years. The Ayton event looks like a real hoot, would be great fun to be a part of something like that.

      Delete
  7. Very nice miniatures. Very well painted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have some 18th century officers to share in next post hopefully :-)

      Delete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...