Wednesday 6 April 2011

The start of the Arthurians...

Like many wargamer types I do tend to get distracted by other periods, this time for me it's Arthurian stuff. I guess my inspiration came from re-reading a Daniel Mersey article in Battlegames magazine and seeing that he was quite happy to mix LOTR figures with other makes to build up an Arthurian force. I knew that my son had a number of LOTR figures and perhaps we could play a skirmish game. So, to cut it short, I ordered a few figures from West Wind and Gripping Beast and converted some others and made a start. To help inspire me I bought a copy of Warhammer Historical's Age of Arthur book too.
Here are some pictures of where I am up to so far with my painting- unfortunately some of the colours are a bit washed out because of my poor photography, be assured the white horses don't look so stark white in reality...
WestWind's Arthur in 28mm


WestWind Arthur mounted on LOTR Horse


This figure has been mounted on a plastic GW LOTR horse because I preferred the look of it compared to then mount he came with. I had to superglue the front hoof to a small pebble for support and reinforce the rear hoof with metal rod.
Arthur's Standard Bearer. WestWind
  I actually prefer this Draco figure to the Arthur one and it was a real pleasure to paint.
A Gripping Beast Rider

GB 28mm
 I really liked the sculpting on the Gripping Beast figures. I think this guy came with a sword but I gave him a spear from a pack of WestWind spears.

Converted LOTR Rider of Rohan
The plasic LOTR Rider of Rohan figure has had his huge spear swapped for a more reasonable looking one, has had his Rohan shield decoration disguised by miliput, and is mounted on a chunky WestWind horse.

WestWind 28mm Arthurian Spearmen


The next couple of figures are conversions of what I think were once Essex Sassanid Persians. Both have been given spears and one has had a headswap from a spare WestWind head, they have also had bosses added to their shields and sword belts with miliput.
Next up is some Gripping Beast WIP and some close-ups of a figure which is mostly finished.




These Gripping Beast miniatures are great to paint, highly recommended!
All the shield designs were handpainted, I guess that's why I haven't made them overly complex.
In my next post I may venture back into WW2 with some 15mm stuff. Cheers, jacksarge.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great bunch of painted figures!!!
    I like them very much mate!
    T.

    ReplyDelete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...